What are the Top Meal Replacement Shakes for the Money?
You might be an athlete who has been struggling with a high calorie requirement or might be a very busy individual and don’t have time to cook or prepare healthy food which has the correct nutrition which is needed. This is the most difficult task for individuals who are on a diet which is calorie- controlled. However, the meal replacement shakes are becoming very famous because they provide you all the nutrients without much hassle.
Meal replacement shakes have been taken by individuals for many years now. However, they were generally used in hospitals on patients which find it difficult to eat or take nutrients. Now a days, though, many more meal replacement shakes have become famous as they have now been designed for athletes and people who find it hard to cook for themselves. The best part of these products is that they have been specialized for people according to their requirement of nutrition they want. Some people might want to have more carbohydrates while women may want to have more biotin. Some men might want to consider Vitamin D and some want to have a lot of calories. However, it can also be taken as a healthy snack.
There are many questions which have been asked about the intake of the meal replacement shakes on a daily basis. Well most dieticians recommend about 50 grams of protein, 25 grams of carbs and 50 grams of fat. Meal replacement shakes provide you all the macronutrients in the exact ratio it needs to be taken. However, many people want the nutrients to be in a different ratio, generally when it comes to protein intake in the shakes.
Top Meal Replacement Shakes List
The market is practically filled with various options when it comes to meal replacement shakes. Although all of them will claim to be the best of the lot, it may not be true all the time. If you are a first timer at trying meal replacement shakes, you may easily get confused. Listed below are some of the top meal replacements that you may find at stores.
1. Ample Original
It is important for you to understand that the best product for weight loss is not the one with the lowest calories, but the one that is most satiating. Keeping this in mind, here is Ample Original meal replacement shake. Most of you may think that Ample is a weight loss shake and it does not make any sense to include this product in this list.
Well, you need to understand that this all about meal replacements and not light snacks. The second most crucial factor is that Ample comes packed with 27gm of protein, 25gm of carbs (10gm of fiber), as well as, 21gm of fat. This amount of protein, fat, and fiber will make for one of the most filling shakes in the market. If you are looking for something that will help you with weight loss, then you should look for a meal replacement that will fight your hunger cravings.
- Free from all types of artificial ingredients
- Suitable for paleo lovers
- Contains grass-fed whey and lacks all artificial sweeteners and flavors
- Provides you with the right dose of prebiotic fiber, fiber, and probiotic bacteria
- The ingredients make it one of the most satiating drinks in the market
- It is low in omega-6 and other inflammatory ingredients.
- Contains just 25% of the recommended daily intake of magnesium, vitamin D, and calcium
- It comes with a heavy price tag
- Contains collagen
2. Keto Collagen
Amongst some of the reputed manufacturers of meal replacement shakes, a rather popular name is Perfect Keto. Their product, Keto Collagen, is one of the most popular meal replacements shakes in the market. It is available in four different flavors, unflavored, chocolate, salted caramel, and vanilla.
The Keto Collagen is made up of grass-fed collagen and it happens to be a dairy free product. This makes it an ideal product for vegans. The additional inclusion of MCTs in the meal replacement helps it to make it one of the most satiating drinks of them all. Have it once and you will feel full for several hours. Keto Collagen is also free from all types of artificial sweeteners or any type of junk.
You may have this meal replacement anytime of the day. You may have it with your coffee in the morning. You may even have it during the evening in order to help your muscles relax before you go to bed. One of the best things about Keto Collagen is that you can have it during your workouts or as a pre or post workout drink.
The collagen present in the Keto Collagen is the primary protein that helps to make up your ligaments and tendons. Daily intake of collagen can provide better support to your body and also keep your joints healthy and happy.
- Does not contain any artificial ingredients
- Available in different flavors
- Ingredients help to make your nails strong, your skin glow, and your hair healthier
- Can be had anytime of the day
- It is free from dairy
- Some users find the taste not suitable
3. ONNIT Powerfood Vitality
When it comes to health drinks a popular name to reckon with is ONNIT. It produces various types of health drinks that are suitable for users with different needs. If you are looking for a good quality meal replacement drink then you may opt for ONNIT Powerfood Vitality.
It contains 3gm of fat, 4gm of carbs, and 5gm of protein. It is free from gluten, dairy, and soy, making it extremely safe for your health. Powerfood Vitality is made around the hemp seeds and various other natural protein sources that help your muscles get replenished after a heavy workout.
This meal replacement shake comes with chia and flax seeds that help to balance out the omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acid ratio of the body. Both the ingredients also help boost your digestion and give you a feeling of being optimized inside out.
- Free from gluten, soy, and dairy products
- It is suitable for vegans
- Helps to improve your digestion
- Ensures a proper balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids
- Might contain artificial sweeteners
- Many users not too happy with the tastes of the different flavors
4. Protein Series Mass Gainer
Available in various flavors, such as chocolate glaze donut, sweet vanilla, chocolate, and cookies n cream, this meal replacement drink offers one of the most effective and purest weight-gaining and muscle building formulas available.
The Protein Series Mass Gainer is packed with everything that you will require to boost your muscle mass. It comes with 53gm of whey protein, 109gm of effective and natural carbs, 12gm of fat, and 750 calories in each serving. Whether you are looking for an ideal meal replacement or a weight gainer or a workout drink to improve your muscle mass, this product can be the best bet for you.
- This meal replacement shake is free from artificial coloring and artificial sweeteners
- Most of the ingredients are organic
- It is also free from artificial preservatives and gluten
- It is a non-GMO product
- Many find the taste terrible
- Some find the price to be too high
5. Ka’chava Meal Replacement Shake
This is a neat blend of plant-based protein and organic superfoods. Have you been going through a hectic day and do not have the time to have a proper meal? It will be a good thing to have a well-balanced meal replacement shake that will fulfill the nutritional needs of your body.
This meal replacement is made with all the pure and organic ingredients. It provides you a well-balanced nutrition, such as protein, omega-3, fiber, antioxidants, greens, adaptogens, probiotics, vitamins and minerals. It is also free from dairy and gluten. It does not contain any artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners, and lacks any form of preservatives.
The Ka’chava Meal Replacement Shake is made in such a way that it helps to keep you satiated for a long time. It is designed for the optimal balance of essential fats, fiber, and protein. The shake is pretty smooth and delicious.
- It is made with more than 70 different plant-based superfoods and nutrients
- Helps to keep you satiated for hours
- Free from harmful ingredients such as gluten, dairy, and soy
- Provides you with all the essential nutrients required by your body
- Some users find the taste not too pleasing
- Some users have reported allergies after having this product
6. Huel Nutritionally Complete Food Powder
In order to choose a good and useful meal replacement, you need not just concentrate on the minerals and vitamins. You also need to look at the macronutrients such as protein, carbs, and fat. Huel Nutritionally Complete Food Powder is a plant-based shake that provides you with the right amount of protein, fat, carbs, with tons of omega-3 fatty acids.
The best feature of Huel is that the protein content is quite suitable despite being a plant-based product. It is free from soy and comes with a sufficient amount of calories.
- Apart from protein, this meal replacement also comes with fat and carbs in the right proportion
- It comes packed with all types of vitamins and minerals, starting from chromium to choline
- It provides you with 4gm of Omega-3in each serving
- It is extremely pocket-friendly
- Suitable for vegans
- It is not meant for people with sensitive gums as it contains acacia, guar, and xanthan
- It is not meant for people who limit their intake of artificial sweeteners as it contains sucralose
7. LYFE Fuel Essentials Meal Replacement Shake
This is a nutritionally complete mix of organic superfoods and plant-based protein powder. This product is made in such a manner that it can easily enhance the energy of your body. It comprises more than 25 different organic superfoods that can easily help you stay satiated for hours. These ingredients can also help you maintain a healthy body weight.
You can easily curb your natural hunger pangs without the side effects of bloating that is significant of whey protein. Other weight loss supplements also provide caffeine jitters that is not the case once you have the LYFE Fuel Essential Meal Replacement Shake. It comes packed with several additional nutrients that can save you money from buying other health drinks.
It is both vegan and keto friendly and is free from dairy products and soy. It is also GMP certified and a non-GMO product. The best part is that it is tested by a 3rd party before getting released in the market.
- Made with more than 25 different superfoods
- Helps to curb your hunger without giving you a bloating effect
- It is suitable for both keto diet followers and vegans
- Provides 18gm plant-based protein and 2gm of natural sugar
- Some users claim that is contains stevia
- Some may find it overly sweet
8. Soylent Meal Replacement Shake
Available in various flavors, including creamy chocolate, cacao, banana, and mint chocolate, the Soylent Meal Replacement Shake is packed with 39 essential nutrients. This includes 28 different types of vitamins and minerals, 9 different amino acid types, omega-3, and omega-6.
Soylent Meal Replacement Shake contains soy-based protein. It is needless to say that soy is one of the best sources of high-quality protein that also provides you with a complete amino acid profile. It is also important for you to know that soy protein isolate has a pretty smooth taste and texture.
The carbs present in this product is slow-burning that practically helps you stay full for a long time. If you have a busy day at work, then simply have this meal replacement shake and stay full and energized for long. The presence of essential nutrients in this shake will also compensate for any deficiency of such nutrients in your body.
- Contains 28 different vitamins and minerals along with omega-3, omega-6, and 9 amino acids
- Contains slow-burning carbs to help you stay satiated
- Free from artificial colors and gluten
- Suitable for vegans
- Contains sucralose
- Some users find the ingredients of poor quality\
9. 310 Meal Replacement Shake
If you suffer from any type of health complication, then it will always be a good idea to consult with your doctor before choosing a suitable meal replacement shake. The 310 Meal Replacement Shake is ideally suited for those of you who suffer from diabetes. This is simply because such users tend to like drinks that contain more fiber and protein and low amount of cholesterol and saturated fat.
Every 15gm of this drink gives you 5gm of fiber, and 2gm of net carbs. The servings lack saturated fat and cholesterol. The nutrition provided in each serving is approximately 30% of the RDI. It contains about 2 dozen vitamins and minerals. It lacks artificial sweeteners, which is good news for people with insulin sensitivity.
- Lacks artificial sweeteners
- Contains low calorie shake of just 90 in each serving
- It is a lovely shake with the right mix of protein and fiber that helps to slow digestion
- It is not ideally a meal replacement shake at just 90 calories
- Lacks sufficient amount of carbs
10. Garden of Life Meal Replacement Powder
This meal replacement is available in various flavors, such as lightly sweet, vanilla, chocolate, and vanilla chai. This raw organic meal is a nice blend of the goodness of several Garden of Life products in a complete meal replacement powder. It contains the nutrition of 7 different products in a single container.
Per scoop of this meal replacement provides you with 20gm of protein obtained from 13 different raw sprouted ingredients. It also contains healthy fats, greens, probiotics, 2-3gm of fiber, 21 different vitamins and minerals, and enzymes. It also contains less than 1gm of sugar. This meal replacement is also packed with 44 different superfoods.
It is free from all types of junk ingredients such as soy, dairy, and gluten. It also lacks artificial sweeteners, flavors, and sugar.
- Provides you with on-the-go nutrition from 44 different superfoods
- Available in various flavors
- Free from artificial sweetener and colors, gluten, dairy, and soy
- The presence of essential nutrients are sufficient to help you build lean muscles and also enhance your energy levels.
- Some users claim that it contains heavy metals
- Taste may seem different after change in formula
How You Decide On The Meal Replacement Shakes?
There are several criterias which you can select to get the best meal replacement shakes according to your body requirements. Given below are the nutrients you need to consider.
Any meal replacement shake is mainly composed of calories, which are a combination of several other macronutrients such as protein, fat and carbohydrates. A good meal replacement drink or shake unless has been designed specially for a particular diet, for e.g. Keto, has generally a combination of these three. However, when you are trying to understand about a healthy diet, you should know that it consists of five components.
Any organism would need Vitamins for a proper working of its metabolism but it does not have a capability to synthesize it by itself. Humans require 13 of them for proper metabolism.
The elements that are made in earth and can’t be produced by living organisms. Plants intake it from soil and then it is passed on to the animals, when they intake plants. Humans need these major minerals such as phosphorus, calcium, sodium, potassium and magnesium and the rest of the minerals are also called “trace elements”.
Essential fatty acids
Humans also need to consume Fatty acids as they don’t have the capability to make it themselves. It is important because it helps us in providing better health benefits such as good immunity and mental health. Many researchers have found that Omega -6 in your diet has increased in the past century. However, every individual needs to keep the ratio of Omega 6 and Omega 3 close. Hence, use supplements which have fish oil in it.
It is also a form of carbohydrate that the body is incapable to digest. They are found as soluble and insoluble fibers. Both of the fibers are important for digestion in a human body. No nutrition company can advise you on the label though if it is a soluble or an insoluble fiber.
These are compounds found in plants which are not considered important when it comes to human survival. Some of them are even considered poison but many also provide health benefits such as catechins in tea. They reduce the risk of various diseases.
When you are trying to understand the quality of the meal replacement shake you should look for vitamins, fibers, minerals and Omega-3 fatty acids. These are not mentioned very often on the ingredients list. So, you might want to specify the list of ingredients when making the meal replacement shake. You can even consider trying the greens powder. So, the best meal replacement shake should contain:
- A perfect combination of protein, fat and carbs.
- A varied variety of vitamins and minerals.
- Fiber dose
- Essential fatty acids.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Meal Replacement Shakes
You may find it very difficult to find all the products that can replace the full course meal and provide all the nutrients which the human body requires. Here are some few points which you can consider which you can consider before buying the meal replacement shakes.
You’re Not Changing Your Whole Diet
Never think about living on meal replacements only. Our body needs enzymes, phytochemicals and antioxidants that can be found in plants. So, keep in mind that meal replacement shakes are important but not everything. If you keep this in mind you will never try to completely replace it with your daily meals.
Ask About the Calories
When many people consume too many calories, they gain a lot of weight but when you don’t consume calories, you can experience nutrient deficiencies and experience fatigue as well. So, when you plan to buy the meal replacement shake which has low calorie from the market ask yourself if it is possible for you to keep your hunger pangs in control and try reducing the overeating, which you have been doing so that you can reduce the fat naturally.
Talk to a Doctor
You should also consider talking to a doctor or a dietician before making any changes to the diet regime. Ask them if trying the meal replacement shake would be alright to try.
Benefits of Meal Replacement Shakes
Going on a diet is a very tricky business and for individuals who are not used to drastic changes in the daily cut of sugary food and calories. It seems to be a very difficult option for them.
That is when the meal replacement shakes come into existence. They have become very popular. These shakes come in very handy when you are thinking of shedding extra fat from your body. It helps you very much when you are starting your journey of weight loss.
Listed below are some of the benefits that can be found when you use meal replacement shakes.
- They’re packed with protein: Losing all the fat which you have gained in the past number of years is very difficult for any person who has just started their weight loss journey. Any one who has done dieting knows how it feels like. However, protein shakes are filled with protein which can make your stomach full. They also have vitamins and minerals which make it a very healthy drink.
- They’re nutritious: These shakes are made, so that it can replace meals which are well balanced and nutritious. However, these shakes contain all nutrients which allow any individual to burn fat and still have a lot of energy and help you stay fit and healthy.
- Easy to prepare and carry: Another issue with eating healthy is that preparing food which is healthy is a time taking and daunting task. In the morning, when everyone is in a rush, it becomes very difficult to prepare a healthy meal. Hence, a meal replacement shake is a perfect option to grab all the nutrients while you are out travelling or going out to work.
- They reduce binge eating: When you are dieting you are more addicted to binge eating as you are not intaking a lot of calories which you used to intake earlier. Meal replacement shakes cut the urge of binge eating by providing you the adequate amount of nutrients and helps you stay full for a long time. Thus, saving you from afternoon and evening cravings.
- They’re great for people who travel a lot: If your work takes you to a lot of places and you don’t have enough time to prepare a healthy meal for yourself. Meal replacement shakes can be very beneficial as they are easy to carry and are definitely better from the unhealthy snacks you might eat, when you are seriously trying to lose weight. These shakes can provide you a lot of benefit and allow you to experience the difference when you try drinking it.
Meal Replacement Vs Protein Shakes Which to Choose?
In the market now a day’s meal replacement shakes and protein shakes are two different things which are used by many individuals. However, they are not sure about the difference between both of them. It is bound to be different because it has different effects on the weight management and the performance of the athlete. If you look at the obesity rate not one country was able to reduce its obesity in the past 27 years.
However, obesity has increased nearly three times, in the past few years rather than decreasing. Obesity happens because the calories spent is less than the calories consumed. This happens because of the increase in the sedentary lifestyle and less physical exercises. So, you should create the opportunities so that you have a healthy and better lifestyle with a healthy diet. However, people often find it difficult to get their food choices correctly. It might be due because of:
- Less time.
- Travelling while working.
- Have high hunger pangs.
- Availability and taste of healthy food is not good.
Meal Replacements vs Protein Shakes
Both of them differ in the value of nutrients. The composition is very different and has different goals to achieve. To simply put it, meal replacement shakes help in control of weight, while protein shakes are known for providing better performance to athlete’s and help in gain of muscle.
If you confuse these two you are making a huge mistake which would surely lead to problems in managing the goals of weight management.
Meal Replacement Shakes
- Can replace one or two meals of your usual diet.
- Usually contains vitamins and minerals.
- They offer more carbohydrates, fiber and calories each serving than a protein shake.
- It does contain proteins, but in a lower amount than the protein shakes.
- It can supplement a daily diet but cannot be used instead of a meal.
- Generally recommended intake is before or after a workout.
- Can be taken up to 25 g of protein each serving.
- Generally, it has less than 5 g of carbohydrates, as they don’t replace full meals.
- Does not have any added vitamins and minerals, other than that which was in the original protein source.
Both meal replacement shakes and protein shakes have their own benefits and the individuals can get benefited accordingly. If you want to ensure that you meet your goal make sure you use the right product.
Although all the above discussed meal replacement shakes are top of the line and users love them, the best of the lot is the Ample Meal Replacement Shake. It happens to a complete, low-carb meal that is made from real-food ingredients. It contains more than 20 superfoods along with proteins, premium fats, antioxidants, fibers, probiotics, and electrolytes. It is available in various flavors and proves to be one of the best on-the-go meal replacement shakes you will ever come across. It keeps you satiated for a long time.