The Government Is Using Its Police Powers to Protect Fracking
Fracking is polluting water all over the country. A new study published in the journal Ground Water predicts that the highly-toxic fluids used in fracking can migrate to aquifers within a few short years.
The government has officially stated that fracking can cause earthquakes. And see this. Some fracking companies now admit this fact.
And yet a new law passed in Pennsylvania will allow doctors to access information about chemicals used in fracking, but will restrict them from sharing that information with their patients. See the writeups by Mother Jones and Truthout.
The director of the Emmy-award winning documentary on fracking – Gasland – was arrested for attempting to film a Congressional hearing on fracking.
Actor Mark Ruffalo was put on a terror watch list after he organized showings of Gasland.
The Washington Post reported in March that the FBI is investigating anti-fracking activists as potential terrorists.
The state of Pennsylvania hired an Israeli-American company with extensive military and intelligence ties to put out “terror” alerts. The company – ITRR – describes itself as:
The preeminent Israeli/American security firm providing training, intelligence and education to clients across the globe.
The Institute of Terrorism Research and Response’s research and analysis center, known as the Targeted Actionable Monitoring Center (TAM-C), is located in Israel. The Targeted Actionable Monitoring Center is staffed with former law enforcement, military, and intelligence professionals experienced in the production and utilization of intelligence products.
ITRR considered opponents of fracking to be potential terrorists.
Fracking companies are also using military psychological operations techniques to discredit opponents (and see this).
Not Just Fracking … Government Using “National Security” Powers to Protect All Big Business
The above is not unique, but part of a trend of using national security laws to protect big companies (more). As just a few of many examples:
- Investigating factory farming may get one labeled as a terrorist
- The government used national security excuses to prevent reporters and scientists from being able to investigate the BP oil spill. Indeed, the White House pressured scientists to underestimate the size of the spill (and see this and this), and tried to smear scientists who found underwater oil plumes. The government covered up the danger of dispersants
- The government’s response to the outbreak of mad cow disease was simple: it stopped testing for mad cow, and prevented cattle ranchers and meat processors from voluntarily testing their own cows (and see this)
- The government is protecting the nuclear industry by promoting voodoo science about the safety of radiation on human health, and by covering up what’s really going on. Government is simply acting as a cheerleader for the nuclear power companies. Indeed, nuclear power plants would not be built in a free market: without billions in government insurance, subsidies and guarantees, no one would want to build the bloody things
- The government underplayed the huge Tennessee coal ash spill. The former head of the National Mine Health and Safety Academy says that the government whitewashed the whole coal ash investigation
- Fraud was one of the main causes of the Depression and of the current financial crisis, but nothing has been done to rein in fraud today. Indeed, the only real action the government is taking in regard to the financial crisis is to help cover up the fraud of the giant banks
- As the ACLU notes, Fusion Centers – a hybrid of military, intelligence agency, police and private corporations set up in centers throughout the country, and run by the Department of Justice and Department of Homeland Security – allow big businesses like Boeing to get access to classified information which gives them an unfair advantage over smaller competitors
- Law enforcement agencies spy on protesters and then share the info – at taxpayer expense – with the giant Wall Street banks
- In an effort to protect Bank of America from the threatened Wikileaks expose of wrongdoing – the Department of Justice told Bank of America to a hire a specific hardball-playing law firm to assemble a team to take down WikiLeaks (and see this)
One of the best definitions of fascism – the one used by Mussolini himself – is the “merger of state and corporate power“.
We’re pretty much there …